Monday, July 23, 2012

Welcome to Monday

Good Monday from Alaska:

Not really much to write about today. 

According to the weatherman, this is one of the coldest July's on record. Hope that doesn't mean that it will be a worse than normal winter. To us it isn't really cold, it is mild and kind of nice.  I did tell Eric today that I would take one and maybe two of the 100+ days in Oklahoma.  People keep telling us to get our cars ready and ourselves ready for the winter by September. You may ask what does that mean?  Well, we have to buy new tires - bluezac?  probably not spelled correctly.  We have to buy this heater thing for the car.  Keeps the oil/motor and whatever else warm and they recommend automatic start.  It is odd to see plug ins everywhere for your car.  They told Richard last week to learn where the parking stripes are on the parking lot because after the first snowfall, which could be mid to late September and possibly early in September, you won't see the stripes again until May or later.  They told him they only scrape the parking lot twice during the winter. Yesterday was one of the first days that the sun shined all day and the temp got up to 75.  Today it is in the low 60 and the sun has been shinning off and on.  We try to get out everyday and enjoy any sunshine we can. Believe it or not Richard is actually walking with me.  We are back up to 2 miles now.  Not sure I will ever talk him to running with me.  Wonder where we will walk/run when it snows?

I'm still on the job search.  Last week I think I applied for 18 jobs.  Add three more to that list for today. I am constantly reminding my self of the verse in Jeremiah - "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord" and also that his plans are not my plans and his ways are not my ways - and I have to WAIT (such a hard thing to do) for Him to bring about his plans in his time. 

This weekend was the Gold Days Parade/Celebration in Fairbanks.  We went to the parade in the rain.  That evening we met some of Richard's friends from Polka Band Days in Fairbanks for dinner.  Our first experience of Thia Food.  It was good, but not sure Richard will add it to his list of things to eat.  It was so nice to talk to someone who knew you and you knew them. 

I may have said it before, but I have a new appreciation for being the new person in a community/church.  It is so hard to form friendships when you only see each other once a week.  I know friendships will come with time and some will even be lasting ones.  I told Richard that Sunday's are the hardest.  I miss my Sunday School kids and my church family so much, especially on Sunday's.

Okay, enough of the sadness.  All in all God has been good and this adventure has been more than we have ever expected.  We are learning each day to rely more on God and more on each other.

I will write more later this week.  Be blessed.  Love you all and miss you.

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment