Saturday, July 14, 2012

Painting....

The painters finally arrived around 5p.m. on Thursday, returned at 4 p.m. on Friday, and 2 p.m. on Saturday (today).  Not sure when they are coming back but I am so ready for the painting to be completed and to redecorate. 

Well Thursday was a day for me.  It was a day of I just want to go back to 135 Regency Drive where there a people/friends, a job and family.  But then I came to my senses and reminded myself that this too will pass and that we are here for a reason and a purpose.

Friday evening Richard and I ventured out to Fairbanks.  We found a very good BBQ place and went to the movie.  Charlie had his first experience of staying out for a few hours and guess what he survived. LOL

Today since the painters were here we did a little touring.  First we washed my car.  I may have to be happy with a dirty car as the car wash here was terrible.  From there we went to Fort Wainwright where Richard works.  It was like we had traveled to a different part of Alaska.  It was beautiful.  I posted a few pictures of the Post and the hospital on Facebook.  From there we drove up to Fox where we saw the pipeline.  It is amazing that the pipeline is as large as it is and runs above ground in some places.  Again, pictures are on Facebook.  From there it was grocery shopping.  While not all things are higher here some are.  It is amazing that we at one time could shop once a month and spend around 300-350 on food (keeping in mind that we always had beef in the freezer) and ate out often. Well I have gone to the store every two weeks since arriving and average $200-300 each time.  Another difference in groceries is we now eat at home more and Richard takes a lunch to work, unless he eats at the cafeteria at the hospital and honestly eating in the cafeteria is more reasonable that taking a lunch.  One of the things that we have noticed is higher is pop.  Richard is a big Dr Pepper/Mt Dew drinker.  A 12 pack runs around $7.  Today we found a 24 pack for $10. Maybe he will cut down on his pop drinking - probably not. We left Charlie out all day today and he survived one more day. Oh, Richard has decided the first big purchase we make is going to be a washer and dryer.  He does not like going to the laundry mat. (That is a regular Saturday routine)  There are no coin operatored, they are card operatored.  Oh, and the car wash only takes dollar coins and the minimum you can start with $3.  The automatic starts at $8 and goes up to $16.

I began my job search this week. Keep praying that at the right time the right job will come my way.  I would really like to work on Post and possible at the school on Post.  Benefits to that job would be riding to work together and having holidays and summers off to travel to Oklahoma or wherever else I/we should want to go.  Speaking of, we have already checked on ticket prices to fly home for Christmas...OH MY...I really need a job just to buy ticket.  LOL..

Eric is coming and August and this one excited mom.  He will fly in on Thursday/Friday (12:45 a.m.) and leave at 5:50 on Monday morning.  It will be a quick trip, but a good one. 

We still do not have darkness and a little rain comes about every day.  So many changes, but we are learning.

Well that is about it for today. Have a blessed Sunday and week.  I will keep you updated on what is happening in Alaska.  Love and miss everyone.

Sally

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Made me laugh. I was afraid groceries were going to me higher there. Rain would be a big change...we are under a burn ban in Oklahoma. It will take time to get use to all the changes.

    ReplyDelete