Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day

I hope today finds you resting and enjoying this holiday (for most of us).  Today I am reminded of two scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15:58 - Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the lord is not in vain.

Colossians 3:23 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.

This last week I was informed, asked, whatever you want to say - that I would be teaching 2 hours of Self Reliant Living until a licensed special education teacher can be hired.  ME - a business teacher.  I will say, so far so good.  The first class is all girls, about 4 -5, depending on who comes to school that day.  The second class is 3-4 boys.  It has been an eye opener and a challenge.  These kids are so polite and pay attention to every word you say.  I have some excellent aids in the classroom and that helps a lot.  The only problem, no lesson plans or textbooks.  I'm learning to wing it and research.  We have been talking about baking chocolate chip cookies.  The plan this week is to demonstrate, make a grocery list, take them to the grocery store, and on Friday bake cookies.  Then next week the plan is to talk about table manners and table setting.  All my teacher friends out there, if you have any other ideas, let me know.  What time I'm not in the classroom, I have been helping the administrative assistant who is in charge of MONEY. (I have a new respect for you Eugenia - hope you are reading this.) Who knew there were so many accounts and sub accounts in a school.  I have also been doing some filing in the counselors offices - there are about 6 of them in the one office. So far all is well and I remind myself everyday how blessed I am to be at NPHS.  Oh, some other things I did this week.  I assisted in the band and orchestra class - well let's just say I set there and listened while they played.  I spent one hour in computer programming.  I also conducted the advisory class two days this week.  I have a group of Sophomores in this class.  In advisory the first day we went over the handbook and the second day was study hall.  I also had a section of PLC - (sorry I can't remember what it stands for).  Basically during this time students are assigned to a room or the library where they are to sit quietly and study, listen to music or visit quitely.  It is a time when teachers are preparing for class or in a teacher's meeting. It isn't always easy, but there is a reason and purpose for my being there.

This week will begin our children's program on Wednesday evening at church.  We will feed kids beginning 6:15 with the activities running from 7-8.  I will be having a small group discussion group that happens at the end of the night and Richard is actually going to be helping with set and clean up.  I will give details in my next post, as I'm really not sure what we will be doing.

This week on one of our evening walks, we ran into a gentlemen who was walking his dog.  We stopped to chat and discovered he and his wife have been in Alaska since the 70's.  Another example of people who come and stay.  (Yikes, hope I don't say that someday, lol..) Anyway, he asked where we were from, we said Oklahoma.  He said my wife was born in Oklahoma - a small town called Clinton.  How small the world really is.

Fall is in the air.  I posted pictures of leaves on Facebook and Shutterfly, but will post some here also.  I was reading this morning that September will start out with a high of around 62 and end with a low of about 46.  Some have said there will be snow in September while others say no to snow in September.  Guess we are about to find out.  They tell us fall will last only about 2 - 3 weeks.  I plan to take advantage of every minute of the beautiful fall weather. 

We will get our cars winterized this week.  That consists of a heater on the oil pan, motor, and something either a blanket or trickle charger on the battery.  We will also be getting auto start for my vehicle and possibly Richard's.  I will get new tires - either studs or blusac.  Richard hasn't decided about tires for the FJ.  Law says we can't put tires on until Sept. 15.

Richard is officially an Alaskan driver.  He got his licenses on Friday.

We listened to all our Oklahoma teams this weekend, Clinton and OSU and watched OU.  We also attended the NPHS football game.  We left at fourth quarter and they were winning 34-7.  The other team had traveled over 500 miles to get here.  NP is a very good team this year and are undefeated.  They begin playing in early August and will finish by the end of this month with playoffs in October.

We are losing our neighbors.  Praying we get more good ones.

Well I think that about sums up our last week.  Have blessed week. 

Love and miss all of you.

Sally

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mrs. Madden I was reading your blog and sounds like you guys are doing alright,Love to hear from you. Love Linda Pruitt

    ReplyDelete