Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hello again!

I didn't realize how long it had been since I last posted.  Let me see if I can catch you up.

The weather is amazingly warm - 30 ish in the morning but anywhere in the 50-60's in the afternoon. Enjoying every moment of it.  The leaves continue to get more yellow and are beginning to fall off the trees.  Winter can't be far behind. Last week we did decide to turn on the heat to be sure it is going to work.  It worked fine and hasn't been on since.

We got both cars winterized.  I need to get winter tires and I really want an automatic start.  Richard is going to be "tuff" and not get the starter or tires.  We will see how long that lasts.  LOL

While walking up the road this week to the place we have to dump our trash, Richard was very quick to point out the moose tracks.  On several mornings and late evenings when we let Charlie out to do his business, he barks nonstop so we were fairly sure that there must be moose in the area.  Now if we could just catch a glimpse of one - from in the house of course.

Things are still going well here, but I  really miss many things about home.  This week I was reminded of a scripture - well actually it slapped me in the face as I was reading.  It was a scripture that I needed to remind me that we do have a purpose in Alaska.  From the Message Bible, Hebrews 10:35 - "So don't throw it all away now. You were sure of yourselves then. It's still a sure thing! But you need to stick it out, staying with God's plan so you'll be there for the promised completion." I was having a "pity party" the evening before and this was part of my devotional reading the next morning. One of the hardest things about being here is hearing of friends hurting, friends sick, or people passing away back home and we aren't there.  But we just pray for all of you from here and leave the rest in God's hands.

At school....this past Monday they told me they were adding a period of Biology to my teaching.  I laughed and said okay.  It lasted one day - thank you Jesus.  They hired a teacher who not only will be teaching the Biology but also my Self Reliant Living Class beginning tomorrow (Sept 17.) Yes, I said my Self Reliant Class.  I have come to love those kids and the class.  One boy actually started crying when we introduced the new teacher.  These kid's don't handle change very well.  A caring aide/coach came to my rescue and after visiting he/we assured the student that I would still be seeing him at school. Not sure what this week will hold for me in the sub area, but I'm sure it will be an adventure.  Luckily, Friday is an early out and then there is no school the following Monday.

Richard continues to enjoy his job and meet many people from various parts of the world and background.

This past week was Homecoming.  Let me just say, Alaska doesn't know how to have Oklahoma Team Spirit.  Imagine my surprise when at the pep assembly I was the only one clapping to the fight song.  The teacher beside me said - oh yeah, you are from Oklahoma..LOL.. We attended the game on Friday evening.  While I had on my NPHS shirt, underneath was my Clinton Red Tornado shirt. It was the number one team against the number three team (us).  We were undefeated until this game.  We lost by one touchdown. It's not Oklahoma football, but it's still football and it's fun.

The kid's activities have begun at North Pole Assembly of God.  While I am enjoying it, it makes me miss my kids back home.  We feed the kids beginning at 6:15 on Wednesday evening and then they have the service.  We have been averaging about 30 kids. I have been put in charge of a group and they are mostly the younger kids - oh what a challenge.  I have also begun to help with the puppet ministry that some of the kids are involved with. 

This last week Richard got invited to rehearse with the Fairbanks Jazz Band.  He was very excited and enjoyed the evening of "drumming".  He will find out this week if the other guy is coming back or if he will be the new drummer.

Saturday we experienced our first - "it's times like these we wish we were in Oklahoma".  Myles had to go to the emergency room. After a 3.5 hour stay at the local ER and being told they couldn't help him that he needed to come back on Monday, a friend took him to the Yukon ER.   I will spare you all the details, but he had an Esophageal blockage that had to be removed with a scope.  The victim...a piece of chicken.  He is doing well, has a little soar throat but other than that, all is well.

Eric is on a cruise this week, so it will be a long week for mom - not getting to talk to him for an entire week.  Yes I will survive.

We are still hoping to be in Tulsa the second weekend in October.  It will be a fast trip. 

That sums up the life of the Madden's in Alaska for now.  Keep us in your prayers.  We really need to sell our building back home.  God has a buyer and that buyer needs to come and make the purchase.

We love and miss all of you.  See you soon..

Sally

PS sorry there aren't any pictures.  I forgot my camera the last time we were out and about.  Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment