Monday, August 27, 2012

The leaves are changing

Good afternoon from cool, windy, yes I said windy, Alaska. The leaves are beginning to change and the weather is starting to be cooler.  One morning last week it was 35, but the afternoons are still warm reaching up into the 50-60.

Last week I started my job as Building Sub for North Pole High School.  Day 1 consisted of cleaning and organizing a closet.  On the first day of school only freshman and new students are required to attend.  It is a day of going over rules, participating in team building activities and visiting each of their 6 classes for 6 minutes- yes 6 classes are all they have to attend each day. On Day 2, I was asked to go assist at middle school due to a fatality involving a student the night before.  However, I wasn't needed so I went back to the high school.  Day 2 and 3 I worked in the textbook checkout.  Teachers do not keep the textbooks in their classrooms.  The books are kept in a centralized area, much like a bookstore and the students come and check out the books.  Day 4 (Friday), I actually got to sub.  I was in the Career Investigation/Coop Class.  It was right down my alley and it was fun to be in the classroom but also challenging as a new face at school.  Today, I filed in the counselors office.  I'm sure there will come a time when I'm actually in a classroom more often, but until then, I will show up everyday at 7:15 and see what they have for me and go home at 2:45 and start all over again the next day.

OH....the NPHS Patriot Football team is doing well this year and won their game this last Friday.  I think they may play at home this Friday so we may have to go watch.  BUT, first we have to listen to RED TORNADO football on the Internet.  Go BIG REDS....and we will be hanging our RED TORNADO flag on our porch on Friday, at least that is what Richard has told me.

Yesterday we had lunch with my friend from college and her family and sister.  It was nice to reminisce and visit with people who actually know a little about you.  Good News...we didn't have Salmon. 

We hope to venture out this weekend and hopefully I can get some good pictures to post of the changing colors.  We keep being told that fall will only last about 3 weeks and then comes winter.  We have been told they don't usually get snow in September, but that it was a mild July and the leaves are turning a little early.  Who knows what winter will bring.  We have discussed going to Anchorage, but not sure that will happen.  Richard has a four day weekend, but only have a three day weekend.

We have been furniture shopping.....YIKES....really a couch for $3000 and up, I don't want anything fancy, not even leather.  There are only 3 furniture stores and this one was the mid-priced store of the three.

Well, that pretty much sums up the last week. 

Continue to keep in touch.  We miss and love everyone.  Be blessed.

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment