Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Job and COLD Weather

The saying in Oklahoma was always, if you don't like the weather stick around and it will change - or something like that...well, the same can be said for Alaska.  We have gone from 30+ to a crisp -48 today.  We had about 4 inches of snow last week.  This weather is to say the least - CRAZY.  Charlie wasn't a big fan of going out to potty today.  He went out, did his business and just set down and would slowly pick up one foot and then the other.  He hasn't been out since. lol....

I started a new job this week.  The first day, I was exhausted. I am a Special Education Extended Resource Aide at Star of the North here in North Pole.  This is a charter school for 7-12 grades and there are only 100 students and about 12 staff members.  These are students who either coming from a small village school, needing a smaller learning atmosphere, have a small learning disability, or various other reasons for not attending the larger schools. I have eight seventh grade boys that I am an aide for - OH WHAT A CHALLENGE. I actually have one child who is autistic.  I am with one teacher for English and Social Studies and then a different teacher - who is from Ireland - for Science and Math.  After lunch I help 3 of the students with reading and last period of the day I go to the high school side and assist with study hall.  Rumor is that they may have me teach Job Readiness or some other business elective to the high school students during the last hour of the day.  After school for one hour I help with after school tutoring or homework.  I have a lot to learn, but so far it is going well. This was a cut in pay but it does include all of the regular teacher benefits.  Health, dental, vision, audiology, retirement....which is a very big help for us. Another benefit is that is only about 5 minutes from our house.

Things are still going well here, but as usual I miss being with friends and family - especially on the weekends.  There isn't much to do with the weather this cold and that is hard on this NOT a stay at home person. People here aren't really "going" people and we only see friends at work or if there is an activity at church.

This week was Lane's birthday and we missed that, even though he sent me a sweet video thank you for his Dallas Cowboy gift, still wish we could have been there to help celebrate.  He is having a Dallas Cowboy party tomorrow - wish we could be there.  Not sure if he has always been a Cowboy fan, or if Eric has swayed him that direction.

I would tell you how Myles is doing - but we never hear from him.  I guess no news is good news.  HINT....hopefully if he ever reads this, he will at least call or answer our calls.  LOL

Well I will not ramble for the sake of writing.  We are good and the adventure continues. 

Miss and love all of you..

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment