Sunday, December 9, 2012

Warm Temperature and Snow

Surprise!  It has only been a week since my last post.  What a difference a week makes.

Earlier this week it was 40 below and today it is 9 above and snowing.  We are expecting the warmer temps and snow to be around all week.  I don't know which I like best, cold temps and clear roads or warm temps and snow.

Here are a few car details in Alaska:
1. Doc was the first to leave his car plugged in and drive off - not once but twice.  The first time, I was standing in the garage with the door open and heard this horrible noise and all of sudden the cord came flying back at me. 
2. Doc's tires don't like cold.  He has to go down the back road every morning before hitting the main road because his tires are so out of round in the morning that he cannot travel very fast.
3.  When it is COLD the interior lights do not work on Doc's car until it warms up.
4.  When the temperature reaches 22 below my car no longer tells me the temperature.
5.  Neither car gets very good gas mileage due to the fact of leaving cars running when you go in a store and having to start the car and letting it run for 10-20 minutes before going anywhere.

I still find it rather amusing at school when they make the announcement, "students the temperature outside is ....... you will need to start your car during BIP (Break in Passing) or lunch."

We have had a very interesting time getting Charlie to go out to potty.  He doesn't like to put on his coat but usually will give in to his booties to go potty.  In the middle of the night however he is on his own - I'm not taking the time to put them on him.  On the plus side, he isn't having accidents in the house. He doesn't put up a fight to put on his coat if he knows he is getting to go in the car.  He is so funny.  I really hate to leave him when we go to Oklahoma, I know he will be fine, but it's like leaving a child.  lol (Pitiful, I know).

Last night we braved the 27 below temperature and went to the North Pole Ice Park.  This is a park that has ice sculptures.  They are amazing.  They tell us that it has actually been too cold for the ice sculptures.  They tend to crack and/or break at this cold of temperature and so they have to take them inside and glue them back together.  They also have trouble with their equipment breaking in this cold.  All of my pictures are on Facebook and Shutterfly, but I will post a few of my favorites on the blog.

We were supposed to have our ladies Christmas party at church on Friday.  But, the temperature at 5 p.m was 30 below and our church rule says if the that is the temp at 5 p.m. all evening activities are cancelled.  The men had theirs the next morning.  Hopefully we will have ours next Sunday evening.

We are counting the days (well I am) till we arrive in Oklahoma.  It will be a fast trip but well worth the trip.

That sums up our week.  I will try to write again next weekend and then will probably not post until we return from Oklahoma.

Have a blessed week.

Sally & Richard


This is Doc's favorite

This is my favorite - I think





The kids were sliding on this...on the other side is a longer slide that leads into an ice building.

No comments:

Post a Comment