Sunday, April 14, 2013

More Than a Month Has Passed

Where has time gone?  It is already half way through April and I haven't written since February?  Let me see if I can catch this up.

March:

Snow, Cold, Snow, Cold...that pretty much sums it up. 

In March we did celebrate our 13th year anniversary.  We had a quite celebration for our actual anniversary.  We went to eat and a movie.  But the next weekend we went to Anchorage for our anniversary and Richard's birthday.  Wow, what a difference 6 hours makes.  Anchorage is what I thought we were moving to when Richard said we were moving to Alaska.  Mountains and beautiful surroundings. Not only that there were malls and Olive Garden.  I will try to post pictures.  We toured downtown, shopped and ate.  During the drive to and from Anchorage we saw Mt. McKinley and an Eagle.  Sorry, I didn't get a picture of the eagle.  We also saw the place (sorry Richard isn't home and I can't remember the name) where they put a tripod in the middle of the frozen river and it is attached to a log or something similar.  You can by tickets guessing when break up will happen, based on when the log begins to float. (This may not be the accurate description but it is the best that I can come up with.) The jackpot is several thousands of dollars.  Oh, break up is when everything begins to melt and turn green.

School for me is getting better.  Either I am adjusting and getting "mean" or the kids are adjusting to me and not pushing their limits as much.  I am going to test this summer for my Alaskan certification.  Say a prayer - I panic when it comes time for taking a test.

We went to the World Ice Sculpturing park in Fairbanks.  I will post a few of my favorite pictures.  It is amazing what they can do with a block of ice.

We keep missing the Northern Lights.  The best light show thus far was while we were in Anchorage.  There was a fairly good showing last night, but I slept right through them.  Something about getting up at 3 a.m. to look at the sky just doesn't excite me too much.  I always regret it when I see the picutures.  Time is running out for good Northern Lights, so we may have to wait till next year.

It is hard to believe that we have been in Alaska for 10 months.  Time is flying in more ways than one.  We do love it here but are ready to see the grass. And YES we miss everyone in Oklahoma.

Last weekend through Tuesday, we had an unusual snowstorm (at least that is what everyone tells us). Everything had begun to melt and then we received 8 inches of fresh snow.  This is alarming for Alaska due to the fact that it will probably warm up way too fast and cause flooding.  Guess we will find out.  The sun has been shining since Wednesday and even though the temperature remains in the 20's, it is still pleasantly nice.  I actually had the sun roof open yesterday.

I will be flying home on May 22 and stay until June 10.  Richard will join me on June 6 or 7 for a wedding and then Mom will fly back with us on June 10.  She is going to stay a week here, a week in Seattle with Don, and a week in Sacramento with Dan. 

Our summer plans are to enjoy more of Alaska.  We hope to be able to go to Valdez or Seward and take a day cruise to see the glaciers and hopefully some whale.  I will be teaching computer classes 2 hours per day at the senior citizens center and attend church camp for a week with the younger kids at church.  Before we turn around it will be August and back to school.  There are some budget cuts in the school system, but so far my job is still secure. We also hope that both of the boys and any friends who want to will come visit us this summer.

Easter we had a community service.  There were two services with about 900 people in attendance.  The kid's service was at our church and there were about 150-200 kids in attendance there.  It is so exciting to see a community that doesn't care what church you are from, they are willing to join together to worship and praise the Risen Savior.

Richard is currently in the air somewhere between Dallas and Seattle.  He flew out Wednesday for a meeting in Norman.  While his flight got messed up and he didn't get to see everyone he planned, I still think he enjoyed his short time in OK and the warmer temperatures.  Believe it or not, I actually survived my first stay in Alaska all alone, but I'm ready for him to get home - which isn't until 1:45 in the morning or tonight however you want to look at it.

I guess you can say we have established a life here (for now) and things are beginning to be more and more routine, so there isn't always much to write about. However, I will try to keep this BLOG a little more uptodate.

Hope you all have a blessed week.  See you all soon.

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment